Attendance Matters - Leaflet for Parents
What happens if my child is away from school or is late?
Regular attendance is crucial and we expect all children to arrive punctually so that we can have a prompt and calm start to the day. We are required by law to distinguish between children’s authorised and unauthorised absences, and every year we have to publish statistics of all absences.
School timings and lateness:
- The school day starts at 8.35am when children can begin to come into school and settle into their work activities.
- Registers are taken at 8.50am and your child will receive a late mark ‘L’ if they are not in by that time.
- Children arriving after 8.50am are required to come into school via the school office. If accompanied by a parent/carer they must sign them into our electronic system and state a reason for lateness.
- At 9am the registers will be closed. In accordance with the Regulations, if your child arrives after that time, they will receive a mark that shows them to be on site - ‘U’, but this will not count as a present mark and it will mean they have an unauthorised absence.
- The school may contact parents/carers regarding lateness.
- Contact the school on the first day of absence before 9am (01279 813198 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Contact the school on every further day of absence, again before 9am
- Ensure that your child returns to school as soon as possible and you provide any medical evidence, if requested, to support the absence
If you need to take your child out of school during the day for an appointment, please let us know either in person or by letter.